As the need for healthcare services increases due to an aging baby boomer population, and as rates of chronic conditions such as diabetes and obesity continue to rise, nurses will remain in high demand for the foreseeable future.
Many nurses earn their RN or Bachelor of Science in Nursing and go on to pursue a Master of Science in Nursing (MSN). If you are considering taking the next step, here are the top five reasons you should:
- Increase your earning potential – There are not only more job opportunities once you earn your MSN degree but your salary will increase significantly. The median annual salary for advanced practice nurses in the US is $104,740 (Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2015). So although it may take money to earn your master’s degree, it is a solid investment in your future and will be earned back.
- Become an advanced practice or specialized nurse – Once you earn your MSN degree, you are not only equipped to assume a leadership role within the field of healthcare, you can specialize in a number of interesting fields such as Psychiatric-Mental Health, Oncology, Pediatrics, or become a Nurse Practitioner or Nurse Educator. This is also the first step toward pursuing a doctorate degree.
- Distinguish yourself from your peers – Although an MSN degree isn’t currently a requirement for working as a nurse, the field is becoming increasingly competitive. As you’re competing for jobs or promotions, leaders are more likely to consider a nurse with an advanced degree over an RN or BSN.
- Move into a mangerial position – Earning you MSN degree allows you to practice with less supervision and gives you the flexibility to move into managerial or administrative roles as you age. It means that you can play a part in shaping not only peoples’ lives but the policies and procedures that are put into place to ensure patients receive the best care possible.
- Deliver the best healthcare, for your patients and for yourself – The nature of nursing requires continuous growth and improvement. Earning your MSN degree will give you the satisfaction of knowing that you’re striving to deliver the best healthcare to your patients and community. It will give you confidence in your abilities and make you proud that you could achieve a milestone in your career.
As life happens, this opportunity may not always be available to you. So if you have an opening now, take the next step with CSUSM’s Master of Science in Nursing.